Thursday, December 13, 2012

a few random things...

We have been doing a Christmas Book Advent Calendar with our kids this month. They get to open a Christmas book each night before bed that Josh or I read to them. The kids love it so much and get so excited when it's time to unwrap the new book each night! This is definitely tradition that we will continue each year.



I went to check on the kids before Josh and I went to bed Tuesday night and I found Brody wearing safety goggles while sleeping! Then, I went to Jillian's room and found her wearing her rain boots while she slept. These two make me laugh! 



Our church's Christmas program was last night. I spent several days helping 3 other ladies from our church create the decorations for the stage. One of the things we made was this chandelier. It's made out of metal rings and covered in ribbon. It took several hours to make over a period of a few days, but it turned out better than I imagined! It was beautiful and HUGE!!


Exciting news at our house is that Jillian is pretty much potty trained. We started about a month ago and she has done great. She still has an accident here and there in a pull-up during naps, but overall, she is doing well with it! It's crazy that after over 4 years of changing multiple diapers a day, I am not changing any diapers! Jillian calls her panties "big girl underpants". We have no idea where she came-up with underpants, but we think it's so funny! Some of her clean, unused pull-ups have been used for other things by a certain little boy in our house. Anything is a mask when you are 4! :)


This was another super easy experience with potty training. At our house, we are firm believer in waiting until they decide they are ready to potty train. It's what worked best for our kids and it was an easy experience both times because it was their idea. Brody was 3 yrs 2 months when he finally decided it was time, and Jillian was 2 yrs 2 months. Since Brody potty trained later and Jillian earlier, we have officially potty trained 2 children in an 11 month time period! Ha! 

I hope you have a great Thursday!

9 comments:

Lauren said...

Those kids are just the sweetest and a riot!!!! :) Jennifer, you and Josh are such incredibly great parents. I love the sweet memories you create for them and the way you both love them. I know you don't need my validation but you two are great at this parenting gig :) XO

The McCorkle Family said...

Jennifer, precious kiddos! I have a 17 month old boy and always love hearing about others' potty training experiences! I have a question. How do you do the 3-in-1 picture? Like the one with the chandelier? I have looked and looked and can't figure out how to do this. I'd sure appreciate your help! -Brooke

Superchikk said...

Honor has started showing interest in potty training at 20 months. I am SO not ready for this. I'd hoped to wait until summer, but I'm going to follow her lead and let her do as much as she wants. She is telling me when she potties and wants her diaper changed, and is asking to sit on the potty periodically. That's quite enough for now. I do not need to be moving while potty training a kid!

Elenie Counts said...

LOVE the book idea! :)

Theresa said...

We're doing 25 days of books too. I wrapped 8 books for each of my three kids in a wrapping paper that is "theirs". Then the last book is a special paper that they all get to open together on Christmas day. They are having a blast keeping track of whose turn it is to open a book that day and loving reading them all too!

Linds said...

I am dying at them sleeping in safety goggles and rain boots. Hilarious! And yay for Jillian! Connor has started showing some interest, but it's hit or miss, so I haven't pushed it. I was really hoping to wait till he turned 3, like Brayden did, and then just do it quickly. Plus, I really don't want to be training a kid while I have a newborn. ha!

Amy said...

Haha, here (in Australia) we all call them underpants or undies, never panties (sell you could but it's a bit rude)!! Love the book idea, I think I might need to do that next year with my pair! My big girl is nearly 3 and is just starting to get this toilet training business!

JESSICA said...

My Jilian Cate also potty trained at 2 years & 2 months! It took just a few days, and she was done. Her older brother is exactly one year older, so I potty trained them both at the same time. He was 3 years & 2 months. We never did Pull-Ups - went straight to "underpants". After all of the potty training horror stories, I thank God for the ease we had with it. I'm sure that you do as well! Glad to hear it was easy for you!

Jess Norden said...

Those pictures of them sleeping cracks me up!!!! I love the book tradition - will you do all new books next year? What a fun way to end the night. :) Have a great weekend!